Hi, I am Katie Saarikko (Saah-rik-koh)!
I’m a Goulburn and Canberra based makeup artist and beauty photographer. I completed a Diploma of Specialised Makeup Services in 2014 and have since established myself as a creative artist working in commercial, beauty, fashion and event makeup.
I was the runner up in the 2019, Makeup Weapons – Weapons of Mass Creation competition in the PRO Artist category.
My photography work appeared on the cover of Imirage Magazine in December 2019.
To get the types of beauty images I was after, I completed further education in:
- Makeup (Chereine Waddell, Mia Connor, Rae Morris, Danessa Myricks, Isabelle de Vries, Martha Mok, Ali Price)
- Hair styling (Danielle Murrihy and Martha Mok)
- Gel nail enhancements and nail art (Elleebana),
- Beauty photography, lighting and retouching (Retouching Academy, Sue Bryce and one on one with Kevin Thornhill).
My passion lies in beauty editorial makeup and photography. The act of “releasing” through the creation of art is my driving force. I also devote time to helping other artists achieve their creative goals. I am an agitator, pushing other artists to go beyond their comfort zones, into the place that art exists in it’s truest form.
In 2019 I directed the makeup team for the Meraki fashion show. From 2015 – 2018 I was the Creative Director of Makeup for Fashfest, Canberra’s biggest fashion show. I’ve worked with many production companies on corporate films, music videos and creative shorts.
As a LBGTQI* ally, I have worked with the gender diverse and queer community on several projects including the 2019 Gender Diversity project posters, launching the TranzAustralia Makeovers program and the TranzAustralia poster campaign in 2015.
I am a firm believer in body positivity and inclusivity. For the purposes of search engine optimisation “women or womxn” has been used on this website.
Get in touch and find out how I can help you.
“My style is natural, radiant and glowy with a touch of glamour. I don’t like to use heavy coverage products and prefer being able to see the skin. I love being able to create a look to suit my client rather than copying an image from the internet. ”
- ABC Radio Canberra – Charles ‘Bud’ Tingwell’s makeup kit paints a picture of actor’s dedication to craft
- Canberra Times – Transgender makeovers provided for free to the gender-diverse community in Canberra
- Leiden Magazine – Talking Makeup with Katie Saarikko
- Beauty Icons 101: Monica Belluci – Her Canberra
- Wing Liner and Lip Service – Mia Connor (2020)
- Concept Driven Editorial Makeup Artist Masterclass – Chereine Waddell (2020)
- Professional Beauty Retouching – Retouching Academy (2020)
- The Foundation of Beauty – Tina Eisen (2019)
- Studio Photography and Retouching – Anita Sadowska (2019)
- Look and Learn – Danessa Myricks (2019)
- Apply Gel Nail Enhancements – Statement of Attainment – Elleebana (2018)
- Editorial Makeup Masterclass – Isabelle de Vries (2018)
- Studio Beauty – Retouching Academy (2018)
- Master Dodge and Burn – Retouching Academy(2016)
- Asian Bridal Makeup updated – Martha Mok (2018)
- Master Hair Styling, Advanced Hair Styling and Asian Bridal Makeup – Martha Mok(2017)
- Masterclass – Rae Morris(2015)
- Eyes Workshop – Ali Price(2015)
- Upstyle hairstyling – Danielle Murrihy (2015)
- Diploma of Specialist Makeup – Canberra Makeup Academy(2014)
- Runner up – 2019 Makeup Weapons, Weapons of Mass Creation – PRO Artist category
- Lead Makeup Artist – Meraki Canberra 2019
- Editor’s Choice – Face to Face Makeup Awards 2018
- Finalist – 2016 Makeup Weapons, Weapons of Mass Creation – Student Artist
- Creative Director of Makeup for Fashfest 2015 – 2018
- Makeup trainer – Canberra Institute of Technology (2017)
- Lead Makeup Artist – Chachino Bridal Expo (2016)
- Assistant Makeup Artist – Chachino La Realisation for Jacqui Scott (2015)
- Student of the Year Award (2014) – Canberra Makeup Academy